While families can be defined in multiple different fashion, a common element to all of them is “caring”. Be it a single parent family, a stepfamily, or perhaps a nuclear family, it is always comprised of a bunch of people who are sincere with each other and genuinely care for the wellbeing of one another. Family traditions, therefore, are an important part of a healthier and happier family life since it helps a great deal in nurturing and strengthening the bond between the family members. Let us mention in what ways do the family traditions help in strengthening relationships.
Family traditions help a great deal in evoking a sense of commitment among the members of the family. It enables them to keep the family as a top most priority. By promoting commitment towards the family, such traditions teach the lesson that family should always come first while the work responsibilities are only subordinate. Family traditions prevent the members from taking their family for granted. It informs them that the love is conditional and effort must be put into relationships in order to keep them growing stronger and healthier. In other words, family traditions promote commitment which serves as the very foundation for strong family relationships.
In the fast-paced era of today, everyone of us is living a mechanical life. More often than not, we are too busy to even communicate properly with our families. It is not an uncommon scenario for someone to be absolutely oblivious to what is going on in the lives of his family members. Through family traditions, communication among the family members can be promoted. It enables them to be more available for each other, listen to each other’s problems or appreciate their recent accomplishments while showing their utter support.
Most importantly, family traditions enable you to spend a lot of quality time with your family. A few may argue that they don’t spend a lot of time with their families but the little time that they do actually spend with each other is of high-quality. However, it has been proven that quality, as well as quantity, is vital for strengthening the family relationships. And such traditions keep both of these factors in a perfect balance. It enables the members to build some quality memories together by promoting communication and understanding.
All in all, family traditions are known to provide a sense of identity to the members. It strengthens the relationships by keeping them together and providing a sense of unity, comfort and security. Since a few of the times such traditions may come in the way of your work responsibilities, it teaches you the values of sacrifice and putting an effort into strengthening your family relationships. By helping a great deal in passing on the cultural and religious heritage, such traditions connect the generations and form a bond based on affection and understanding.
The above-mentioned information must have informed you sufficiently of the importance of family traditions and how they help in strengthening the family relationships. If you are convinced that family traditions may be the way to revive your family life, it is time for you to adopt or build a few of the family traditions. We have taken the liberty of mentioning the top 10 ideas to get you started as well:
1. While making new traditions, always aim for a moderate number of them in order to prevent making such traditions a burden or suffocation for your family members.
2. Always adopt at least a few of the spiritual family traditions.
3. Don’t forget to evaluate your family traditions from time to time.
4. Identify the purpose of your family tradition and then move onto making it personal.
5. You can choose to incorporate traditions from your own childhood, but you need to make sure that they are suitable and appreciable for the current generation.
6. Keep on shuffling through the traditions in order to keep the element of excitement alive.
7. Choose the timeline of your family traditions. What works best for everyone? Daily connections, weekly connections, or monthly connections.
8. Keep discussions an eminent part of the get-together. You can choose to discuss your next picnic, meal plans, camping, house chores, sports, special events, current affairs, etc.
9. There is nothing better than taking a walk together in the evening or have a good chat over a cup of coffee in the lawn.
10. Movie night or a game night is perhaps a family tradition that is easiest to implement.